Flag of the First Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry. This flag is yellow. The canton in its corner carries 13 alternate blue and silver stripes. It is the first known instance of an American banner carrying 13 stripes. Captain Abraham Markoe in 1775 presented the original flag to the Philadelphia Troop of Light Horse, subsequently known as the First Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry. The troop carried the flag at the battles of Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, and Germantown. The First City Troop preserves the original in its Philadelphia armory.